Toastmasters-Speech 4

How can a person be really happy?

“May be he has recently Married".
"May be he has recently divorced”

But when I say I am a happy person it is because I was bestowed by GOD with some wonderful & wonderful friends."

Mr. Toastmaster, Fellow Toastmasters & dear Guests.

Friends are an important part of my life. For the last 9 years I m staying with my friends & that way I am as close with my friends as I am with my family. The 4 years of college days are the most memorable days in my life. The kind of fun that we had at that time was just incredible.

We stayed in a private hostel & there were a couple of real interesting characters in our group & let me introduce one such character to you. His name is Mr.Pravin. He is an absent minded and forgetful person. Once he kept the specs above his head & after some time he forgot where he had kept his specs. He ran down the corridor, climbed floors in search of specs. He didn’t find it. Then he came running to my room and asked “Yasi, Yasi did u see my spects”. I just couldn’t suppress my laugh. But regaining my composure I told him in a serious overtone “Pravin, why don’t you check in George’s room”. Everyone said the same thing or the other & it went on. And finally out of desperation said.."Man.. Where did I keep my specs." and the specs was broken to 2 pieces by then.

At times he used to keep the spects on the table & go out for bath & our friends used to hide it. After going thro this torrid act 3-4 times, he decided, “enuf is enuf ", And he thought, "Let me keep the spects in a safe place."

On that particular day when he went to bath, he removed his trousers, carefully removed the specs & wrapped in his trousers, & kept the trousers near the window. That day he had a contented bath, as he knows that his specs was safe. When he finished his bath as usual he took his trousers & shook it. There lays the specs in 2 pieces. Now you know how forgetful he is?

Another incident, which is clearly etched in my memory, is what we fondly call “Operation Gabriel”. Below our hostel there was a mess, and the mess owner was an irritating character apart from being a miser. He had a particular habit of buying a hen, butchering it & making it the next day’s chicken. So we thought, we should teach him a lesson by putting an end to this atrocious act. So we decided to kidnap the hen & the operation was named “Operation Gabriel”.
On that particular day we all wore black dresses, and painted our face black. When we made sure everyone slept, we sneaked downstairs and slowly approached the hen. As none of us had prior experience in handling the hen, the hen started running around & making noise. Then one of our friends who was an expert in this came forward, made a friendly noise (Ba Ba) & slowly lifted the hen like a feather & placed in a sack.

We took the sack & darted to our friend’s place nearby. The hen was transformed into a delicious & aromatic Chicken fry in no time. Even though cook, had put a lot of chilies while preparation we gulped the chicken it our satisfaction. But the Chicken & the owner had their revenge on us. You know how? The next morning we all had stomach upset . On that day as we passed the owner, we looked at his depressed face, rubbed our stomach & said “Gabriel is creating a lot of problems”. The owner got really perplexed & how much we enjoyed seeing the ginger eaten face of mess-man.

And we had loads & loads of fun being together. After the college we all came to Bangalore & for the last 4 years we are staying together. We are like a closely-knit family & we take pride in helping others at times of distress.

All good things must come to an end. Our window period is also going to end. Now few have gone abroad & others are planning to settle in foreign countries & few are going to get married. The thought that friends wont be around makes me really sad. But I know we all have to move on at some point & these lines give me solace


Friends will come and friends will go,
The seasons change and it will show,
I will age and so will you,

But our friendship stays, strong and true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 simple secrets to keeping her happy

Prostate Cancer terms and treatments- Things to know